Just a short post to outline my Combat Patrol force for my recent tourney and share a few thoughts - I always make notes after each game.
Combat Patrol 400pts (fluffy):
Pl HQ w. 3 grenade launchers (45)
1 Sect w. plasma gun (65)
2 Sect w. melta gun (60)
3 Sect w. grenade launcher (55)
Heavy Wpn Sect w. 3 autocannon (75)
Spec. Wpn Sect w. 3 grenade launchers (50)
Spec. Wpn Sect w. 2 grenade launchers; 1 flamer (50)
- great missions; great variety of terrain, too!
- two particularly great opponents (Andy and Jay)
- in each game - very unusually for me - I used combined squads (2 squads in one game; all 3 in the others!). I think I did this (a) for speed and convenience; (b) for survivability; (c) to intimidate, and (d) to maximise firepower (FRFSRF Vs Blood Angels = carnage)
- the autocannon were necessary, but pretty rubbish throughout
- the list was (predictably) rubbish against mechanised Imperial Guard - no surprises there; I need more anti-tank.
- grenade launchers kill marines (I love grenade launchers)
- a hedge of bayonets kills chaplains:
(although he weathered seven wounding hits with only one wound remaining!)
- Space Marine scouts are BS3 (grrrr!)
- cheap special weapons squads make excellent screening troops
- mortars (which I also love) really can make a difference: even one in a small game!
- I really need a tray to carry and organise my forces when gaming.