Tuesday, 8 January 2019

667 - 2018 Winter Challenge: British Paras! Days 9-15

Evening, All!

It's been a mixed week. I made a lot of progress to start with, and then realised - to my utter frustration, that I was missing a key colour: the red-brown for the camo. 
As you might be able to see from the test figure I did, below, (which is only about 90% complete) the brown is just too...brown. Rats.
So how, then, did I fill the time in my hour of need? Well firstly, I got all the green patches, helmets and equipment...
 ...including my 4KSLI medic and my RAF Regiment PIAT team, just because they were at hand (note the RAF shoulder flashes on the chaps at the back):
I also bought this paint rack for a few quid. It's basic, but fits inside my little hobby cupboard:
 ...and whilst I had the Russian Armour green out, I took the chance to prime and base-coat my Challenger A30 - more on this in another post, sometime.
I also finished off the last of the Sarissa MDF scenery I was putting together for Guy, for Beyond the Gates of Antares:
And finally - I quickly put together a small rocky outcrop with a simple automated lighthouse and hut for Cruel Seas:
Annoyingly, what makes this worse is that I thought I'd ordered the red-brown colour. The paints arrived today, and I didn't. That means an even longer wait, and so I'll have to work out what to do with the paras in the meantime: probably boots and flesh at least...

- Drax.

8 comments:

  1. Handsome troops, very nice job...and this lighthouse is coming along nicely, waiting for more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      Mind you, having played Cruel Seas again at 1:600 this week, I think I've made its scale rather too...

      ...1:600!

      Delete
  2. lol, is that a monopoly house on that island?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe.

      Actually, given that I seem to have got the scale a little off, I might just upgrade to a hotel!

      Delete
  3. I wouldn't worry about variations in the uniform colours. My combats went in phases; as the buttons changed, so did the actual colours. By the time I was in the TA, some of the guys were wearing what we called 'curry combats' as the base tone seemed to be coronation chicken rather than green.

    So an actual brown rather than an 'offical' red/brown ? I really wouldn't worry; personal experience of British Army uniforms tells me that it's unlikely that even those int he same unit are the same, unless they're issued uniforms from a single batch for a parade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I utterly, utterly agree, Zzzzzz...

      ...I'm not trying to be 'accurate' at all, really (and you know by now that I can't tell one colour from another anyway), but the trouble is that the brown is too dark. As I always have a dark finish to my toys anyway, I really just needed a lighter (and redder) brown to do the job.

      It's arrived now, though, so all is good!

      Delete
  4. I'd have to agree with Zzzzzz's comment. I had 6 sets of uniforms when I was in, and none of them matched and that was in today's level of quality control. That being said, I fully commiserate with you on the not having the paint you need on hand. Still waiting on a couple pots I need to turn up in the mail.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yup! See above: it's not the shade so much that's getting me: I just need something a bit more contrastive...

    Thanks for swinging by, Spiderweb!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!