Monday 8 August 2016

565 - Bolt Action Cromwell CS Completed!

Hullo All,

A straightforward one today: in addition to ploughing through my early war desert Sikh troops (of which the first elements should be completed by the end of this week), I have been trying to tie up some of the many loose ends from my 11th Armoured. 

At the top of that particular pile was this - my Cromwell CS variant:
It's the nearest one. As usual, late-night phone-pics are terrible,
but it's named 'Pieter' after my fellow hobbyist who so very kindly
donated a Warlord Games voucher, allowing its procurement.
With its converted 95mm close support howitzer (which functions as a rather useful 'medium howitzer' in-game), I've designated this vehicle to be a vague representation of the exploits of Capt. Walter Luttrell (or 'Colonel Sir Geoffrey Walter Fownes Luttrell KCVO MC JP' as he ended up) of HQ Troop, 15th/19th The King's Royal Hussars, whose bravery and professionalism  under fire in the vanguard of 11AD earned him the MC [link here].

I'm pleased with the way the vehicle has turned out (not least because I had to do the white turret details by hand), but as it sits next to the normal 75mm Cromwell variant, I cannot help but think that I really need to get some stowage on these vehicles to differentiate them a little more.
[Sikh soldier test mini]
I also played a game last week, so there'll be a post about that soon...!

- Drax.

8 comments:

  1. Bravo! Those tanks are looking lovely. You're getting quite the dab hand at WW2 vehicles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Scipio!

      ...but even I can't go too far wrong with flat green all over..!

      Delete
  2. Love the new tank! I agree that at least a little stowage is needed, especially as neither has a commander fig poking out.

    Sikh test looks sweet. I also like that pose!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Matey!

      The commander figure looked disproportionately small in his hatch - lacking the 'heroic' quality of the rest of my Toms - so I left him out.

      Or "in", I suppose.

      Funnily enough, I have used the commander with my new Humber MkII for the desert Sikhs, as he scales perfectly with the Perry scuplts.

      The Sikhs' poses are indeed really cool, and they're lovely kits to put together, but sadly (and a little surprisingly) there are surprising areas of undetailed blandness on some of the figures...including the officer!

      Delete
    2. I felt the same way about my Warlord plastic T34/85 commander and likewise used him instead in my BA-64 armoured car.
      Maybe these armoured vehicles were crewed by hobbits?

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. That's just what Charles I said.

      Delete
    2. Where's a Basil Brush meme when you need one....?

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!