Well, rather pleasingly, the other day I got to visit my old pal Mattenbury at his swanky new crib for a game of Bolt Action - and it was a really fun game!
|View from my edge|
I'll keep this short, as the photos didn't come out brilliantly: 1000pts - 'Meeting Engagement' - six turns - Mattenbury's gorgeous Commandos (who beat me soundly the last time we met) and my Heer, but with no Panzer for a change! Oh, and a complete German victory!
|The end of turn 1: "Advance!"|
Things started well enough for the Brits, but they were more cautious than I anticipated, and in the time it took them to edge round the scenery, I was able to drag my Mausers and MG42s into position and meet the brave Toms with a hail of lead.
|Beside the blue order die, you might|
just be able to discern the shadowy
shape of the ambushing team with
their Panzerschreck - the trap is sprung!
|The aftermath of the artillery strike|
In the end, for no losses (although two of my units had taken a good battering!) Mattenbury's Commandos were left with this:
- Captain and Comd Section: whittled-down by fire then died assaulting my inexperienced Luftwaffe Field Division;
- 1 Section: flamed and whittled-down to last three men, surrounded by Germans;
- 2 Section: alive, but reduced, and facing the centre of the German line;
- 3 Section: blown apart entirely by Nebelwerfer;
- Crusader AA: blown apart entirely by the same Nebelwerfing;
- AEC Mk.III: blown apart by a flanking Panzerschreck;
- Sniper: alive and useless (AKA, 'sniper');
- 2" Mortar: alive and very annoying;
- Medic: alive and useless (AKA, 'medic');
- Artillery observer: alive and redundant (AKA, 'post-fire mission FOO');
- 25pdr: blown apart by my medium mortar.
On my left, these buggers get closer... ...so these guys fire...
|The empty left flank shortly thereafter.|
|The final scene on the right.|
Where I suffered most was from the free FOO's artillery strike (which 'missed', but didn't scatter very far), from the blasted AA Crusader, and from MY OWN UNIT which, whilst bravely holding the right flank from within the building, rolled a "FUBAR" and let rip a hail of bullets into the LW Field Division troops! Rats!
This was a really very fun game indeed, an Mattenbury very much remains one of my favourite opponents. Hooray!