Saturday 24 February 2018

630 - Warlord Games' Churchill AVRE (plus)

Hullo, All.

Some more recently completed units, and another one to tick off the ''done" list (more on this soon!).
AVRE


I won this Warlord Games Churchill kit last year and as someone whose primary British formation is an Armoured Division [Churchills generally went to the infantry divisions], I wasn't sure if I could find a use for it, but eventually I figured that I could use one either in Italy with my Perry troops or in support of my RAF boys. 

Or just - y'know - for fun.

Luckily the kit is designed to be pretty versatile, so with a bit of fudging it, and with my tongue firmly in my cheek, I managed to build it for three separate uses, vis.:

-- Churchill AVRE 
-- Churchill MkIV 'NA75' and 
-- Churchill MkV CS (95mm med. howitzer)
NA75
The AVRE and the CS variant share a (magnetised) turret into which the different main weapons can be inserted, whilst the NA75 variant has its own (basic) turret.
This is the MkV - 95mm howitzer version...
...with the same turret build as the AVRE...

...and this is how the weapons swap out.
I struggled a bit with the decals; partially because it's out of my familiarity, and partially because it needed to be a jack of all trades. Still, we just about got there, I reckon.
Here you can just make out the prow decals.

Some fun news soon, and a bit more RAF Regiment progress too.

Cheerio,

- D.

13 comments:

  1. Very nice! The more of these beasties I paint the more I've come to love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, mate!

      I must say, it was nice not having to paint bogeys or all the rubber on large roadwheels this time!

      Delete
  2. That is an absolutely stunning paint job Drax! You should do some tutorial posts, they'd go down a treat (certainly with me...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thanks, matey!

      It'd be disingenuous of me to make any sort of claim over this though, as it's just the techniques from this guy's awesome YouTube tutorials, but with a main colour of Russian Uniform instead:

      https://youtu.be/Fczj9-HSleY

      (Search for "Bolt Action tutorial: how to paint WW2 British European camo - Cromwell")

      Besides, I think the footfall of this blog these days is so minor that it'd be for an audience of one! :)

      Delete
  3. Outstanding job Drax. Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's been sitting around base-coated for months and months, so it needed to happen!

      Delete
  4. Beautifully done, no doubt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very good. Sent a grant pict via fb...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. Cheers, mate. It's certainly a very characterful kit!

      Delete
  7. Fantastic take on my fav tank of the war. Love how you managed to get 3 different variants out of one kit. Think i will try the same with my own (it's currently still in its box).
    Would love to see how you magnetised the turret?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!