Sunday 4 September 2016

570 - Desert Rats' Transport Lorry

Hullo, All.

More late-night mobile phone pics...but this time I'm rather proud of the result.
It's a lorry, of course, to transport some of my Sikh troops. 

Or all of them eventually, I suppose...but that'd take longer...
The things of which I am proud in this case will not appear particularly clearly in these photos are as follows:

  • I actually hand-painted the Type A RAF roundel on the cab roof. This involved (a) practising and (b) thinning my paints - two processes in which I hardly ever indulge;
  • the canvas tilt has no fewer than five - FIVE! - different gradations of colour on it, to give the otherwise flat material some 'depth'. This is a real first for me (in twenty-mumble years of painting); I even mixed some paint!
  • the headlamps have actually been painted carefully, with outlining and even a spot of light;
  • Finally, I used three different and quite liberal dry-brushing layers on this lorry: dark brown, light grey, then Bleached Bone (equivalent). In part, this was because it seemed apt; it was also, however, done in order to complement the colours of the weathering done on my Churchill I/II.
This means that - Sikh-wise - I have now completed my HQ, three sections, a sniper team and a lorry. Thirty-four figures and counting...!
"LILIUM INTER SPINAS"
My new lorry alongside its two completed 11AD lorries.

Woo-hoo!

- Drax.

14 comments:

  1. Really, REALLY nice paint job on something as simple as a truck. You'll be pleased to know that even before I started reading, I thought:

    1) That canvas looks fantastic
    2) If that roundel isn't a transfer it's very impressive

    Great stuff! I'm also glad to see there's someone else who still refers to paints (of any manufacture) by their old GW name. Still got lots of Bestial Brown knocking about somewhere...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, matey!

      ...and some of my new Sikh chaps may just have made use of Bestial Brown...!

      Delete
    2. Drax said what I was feeling. Bloody well done mate.
      When I painted my 15mm desert trucks it turned out to be for some reason a very rewarding experience.

      Your speed is getting better too btw!

      Delete
    3. Cheers, buddy.

      To my surprise, I really have enjoyed (re)-painting these lorries. I even attacked the third of my Normandy ones last night to give me a change!

      As for the speed? Well, the summer hols are over now, but change is afoot. Watch this space...

      Delete
  2. Excellent job Admiral, excellent job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Cheers, Cheef!

      I'm slowly trying to get better at this painting lark...

      Delete
  4. I still have 'old GW paints' and therefore still use the same names.

    Not a transfer ?!?! thats fab mate, if you did it. I'm figuring H did it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally. I still have - and use - some ancient screw top GW paints. In fact, because I generally understand colour so very little, I recently deliberately rooted out some old GW stock on eBay...

      And no: H did not do it. You sod.

      Delete
    2. Totally. I still have - and use - some ancient screw top GW paints. In fact, because I generally understand colour so very little, I recently deliberately rooted out some old GW stock on eBay...

      And no: H did not do it. You sod.

      Delete
  5. Those look very good! I was about to complement you on the cool looking snowy base until I got a better look ...and figured out it was your painting surface (facepalm!) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tee-hee! Thanks, neverness.

      Yeah, I'm so damned sloppy they I tend to use whatever's to hand, especially when drybrushing! In this case, the back of an envelope: an unopened bank statement. Sheesh!

      Oh, and the bits that look like the remnants of my bad coke habit are from me cleaning out the lid of a white paint pot.

      Honest.

      Delete
    2. Tee-hee! Thanks, neverness.

      Yeah, I'm so damned sloppy they I tend to use whatever's to hand, especially when drybrushing! In this case, the back of an envelope: an unopened bank statement. Sheesh!

      Oh, and the bits that look like the remnants of my bad coke habit are from me cleaning out the lid of a white paint pot.

      Honest.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!