For those of you not aware, those over at Andy's Blog have been having a friendly competition to 'design oneself' in miniature form. I thought the deadline was the end of January: apparently it's tomorrow! Now, while the time difference gives me a few extra hours, I've had to ignore our houseguest (luckily, none of us care much for New Year's Eve celebrations), in order to turn out a verion of...well...me.
This is me in an approximation of me during my brief period in uniform. Details include the following:
- my glasses - these were an absolute bugger to convert!
- my sword (the "Ballard Sword")
- my ever-present satchel
- kit (I'm something of a pack-rat and always carried stuff)
- the colours, both of the service dress uniform and the cap
- the light blue flash
- my pre-commissioning rank insignia on my left shoulder: a beautiful design, and a rank the conference of which I've always been proud. This is probably the most tricky thing I've ever painted!
Sadly, I'm no Golden Demon painter, and the mini looks far better from a distance than under the glare of naked bulbs and a flash at eleven at night. Oddly, I had to use candles for illumination whilst painting this tonight, too!
Oh, I'm a little less, er, rugged these days, and I should point out to anyone who knows me reading this that this is just for fun: I'm not seriously trying to recapture my past with any degree of faithfulness!
I'll finish and base him at some point soon. Kate says she's going to do a version of me in a Hawaiian shirt if I provide the model...
Here's to the New Year and Codex, and do pop over to Andy's blog.