Sadly there's been only very fractional Draxian progress since my last post. Here are some of the Real-Life (TM) things which have contrived to act as chicane on my painting journey. Some of them were wonderful, wonderful distractions; some horrid; some dull and some genuinely tragic (though I won't mention those):
- House guests. Eight of them, in fact - in our little cottage. Two on the front room floor, two on sofas, two on the office floor and two in a tent in the garden! Great to see my old uni friends, but strewth was this place busy!
- The Fourth of July for my American wife. Guess who fired up the charcoal on the old bar-be-cue? Yay - meat for once!
- A village music festival: "Six great bands and a special guest". It was fun - especially with our guests for company...
- Too much work. Way too much work. It's a week-and-a-half before the summer holidays: I should be kicking back and putting on videos like my teachers used to do. Why the jiggins am I having to work til the early hours each night?
- Two more house guests today (the last lot left yesterday). A Canadian and a Geordie - what a mix! That's what comes of living in a pretty place in Devon: no-one ever bloody visited when we lived in Norwich...
- Tiredness. It's been a long slog this year: new job; new school and less money. Next year I'll be in charge of twice as many teachers and kids too. Sheesh. And my classroom's being demolished. And I'll have a sprog.
- Filing. I've shifted so many bloody manilla files and paperclips this term I feel like a bloomin' civil servant. Talking of which - are you guys familiar with the logo from the Office of Government Commerce?
Almost there. And my mind's not quite frazzled. Not quite.
"Aye, Mister Richie: it's Brigadoon!"